[Python-Dev] Re: Python-dev summary for 2002-08-15 - 2002-09-01

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:55:59 -0400

[Fran=E7ois Pinard]
> [Fredrik Lundh]
>
> > [...] and this mailing list is about python.
>
> Why did you reply to the mailing list, then? :-)

The effbot is a law unto itself :-)

> > Fran=E7ois Pinard wrote:
> >> [Steve Holden]

[...]
> Python did not build its success by trying to convince people that ever=
else
> is wrong.  It rather offered an environment in which participants happi=
ly
> considered they were gaining a lot.

erm, ...

> If someone breaks its screen appearance through selection of inappropri=
ate
> fonts, he might gain some pleasure indeed while loosing the ability to
read
> many existing messages.  That's really his choice and preferences, he h=
as
> live with the drawbacks, without trying to convince senders that they a=
re
all
> wrong.  Considering others as losers does not efficiently trigger
progress.

I don't really consider """It looks especially bad in my standard mailrea=
der
variable-pitch font""" to be sufficiently evangelical to deserve this
rebuke, but then I didn't really consider your rebuke deserved either, so=
guess we should just terminate this thread now.

regards
Python Web Programming                        pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com