[Python-Dev] Re: Python-dev summary for 2002-08-15 - 2002-09-01

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:25:24 -0400

[Fredrik Lundh]

> [...] and this mailing list is about python.

Why did you reply to the mailing list, then? :-)

> François Pinard wrote:
>> [Steve Holden]

>> > It looks especially bad in my standard mailreader variable-pitch font.

>> [...] People often insert ASCII tables or simple explicative drawings,
>> these capabilities are useful enough for not being dismissed.  You should
>> use fixed width fonts [...]
>
> loser.
>
> if python really was all about "everything computers did when I learned to
> use them will always be the best way to do it", it would probably never have
> been invented.

Python did not build its success by trying to convince people that every else
is wrong.  It rather offered an environment in which participants happily
considered they were gaining a lot.

If someone breaks its screen appearance through selection of inappropriate
fonts, he might gain some pleasure indeed while loosing the ability to read
many existing messages.  That's really his choice and preferences, he has to
live with the drawbacks, without trying to convince senders that they are all
wrong.  Considering others as losers does not efficiently trigger progress.