[Python-Dev] Re: raw headers in rfc822.Message

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:26:48 -0400

> Zack Weinberg writes:
> > You've generated this patch backward, and in a format which makes it
> > useless to us.  Please regenerate it with diff -c or diff -u (either
> > is acceptable) and put the newer file _second_ on the command line:
> > diff -u OLD_FILE NEW_FILE.

[Michael Chermside]
> It wasn't all that long ago that I submitted my first patch (of
> documentation, not code) to SourceForge. It took me > 20 minutes of
> careful web searching to figure out the desired way of submitting files
> and the correct way to generate that. And I still wasn't 100% sure I was
> generating the diff in the correct direction.
>
> Couldn't Zack's comment be added to the directions found at
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=5470&atid=305470
> so that anyone submitting a patch would see how to do it.

I guess we're assuming that even people who aren't familiar with
SourceForge are familiar with diff.  Is that not a reasonable
assumption any more?

There's also the developer FAQ, which has carefull instructions for
patch generation at

  http://www.python.org/dev/devfaq.html#patches

and in addition points to http://www.python.org/patches/ which has
everything you need (except the hint about forward diffs; I'll add
that).