[Python-Dev] Re: mysterious hangs in socket code

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:40:38 -0400

> > >The next step should be to get the getaddrinfo() source code from
> > >glibc and see what it does.  It's open source, hey. :-)
> >
> > I can dig around a bit, but I have to figure out what
> > I'm looking for.

[MvL]
> I think that part is already settled: getaddrinfo, on Linux, is
> thread-safe.
>
> > On the failure platform, are we sure Python is using
> > the native getaddrinfo, not the Python-supplied one?
>
> Correct.
>
> I think the remaining question is: Even if the GIL is released around
> getaddrinfo - why is the performance of Jeremy's test script still
> that bad?

I tried to read the glibc getaddrinfo() source, but it looks like it
would be a term project...  It could be that it's just doing a lot
more interaction with a DNS server.

I believe that Jeremy suspects that the test program isn't just slow,
but that one slow thread actually blocks all other threads from making
progress.  If that's the case (we don't know for sure), we're looking
for a bottleneck in the getaddrinfo() code that somehow holds a
resource needed by all threads calling getaddrinfo().