[Python-Dev] Re: ATTENTION! Releasing Python 2.2.2 in a few weeks

Laura Creighton lac@strakt.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:42:34 +0200

> > But given your current plan to release in a few weeks, I wonder if my
> > task might be better changed from tracing all the changes from the
> > last release to 2.2 maintenance, to starting from 2.2 maint and
> > seeing if there is something we _don't_ want in, which needs removing.
> > I still don't have a good enough perspective to judge this.
>
> I very much doubt that anything would have crept into 2.2 cvs that we
> don't want.  Or are you talking from the PBF POV and could they be
> more conservative for Py-tie than we've been with 2.2.2?

I sure don't think so.   But it looks now to me as if the new plan of
attack for making a PyTie release is to start with 2.2.2 and then see
what absolutely needs to be added to that, as opposed to my old approach,
which was to trace from 2.2.1 until 2.3 labelling things that _shouldn't_
be included.  Does this make sense, or was my old plan of attack better?

> Can you tell us more here about the Py-tie plans?  I know nothing
> about it except that it'll be based on Python 2.2; I think it would be
> helpful for the developer community to know what the long-term Py-tie
> plans are.

If there is consensus that making Py-Tie out of 2.2.2 plus a list
of things that have to be added/fixed, then the thing to do is to
start the Snake Farm testing 2.2maints.  Then we need to get a list
of what software that isn't part of the standard library should be
included in PyTie.  Then we have to test that against the PyTie candidate.
We're working on a way to add that to the snakefarm builds now.  The
long term plans are to fix serious bugs in the release if they should be
discovered, not only in Python but in any third party modules.  Also
we are working on how to license the whole thing, given that every
extra bit has its own particular license.

Laura