[Python-Dev] -zcombreloc

Andrew Koenig ark@research.att.com
24 Sep 2002 10:14:05 -0400

ark> So I think you are right -- the correct fix is to warn people that
ark> they should not use binutils 2.13 on Solaris, period.  I believe that
ark> they will fix the problem in 2.13.1 and will let you know.

I received a fix this morning from one of the binutils developers
and am testing it now.  The good news is that the Python build has
gotten further than it did last time, so I'm going to try rebuilding
gcc with the fixed binutils 2.13 and then rebuilding Python.

That process takes about 16 hours of cpu time, so don't expect
to hear from me until tomorrow at the earliest.

The bad news is that the fix is specific to Solaris, which means that
installing it breaks the linker for Sparc/Linux.  They are now trying
to figure out how to fix it in a way that does not break Linux;
obviously, they're not going to put it in a release until they have
one that works on both operating systems.

More news as I get it.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark@research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark