[Python-Dev] Need advice: cloning python cvs for CE project

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:10:59 -0400

On 24 Sep 2002 at 0:02, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:
>
> > Otherwise you could set up your own SF project "pythonce" and do a
> > vendor branch checkin of Python.  I've never used vendor branches
> > myself, but Kurt Kaiser uses them in the idlefork CVS, which deals
> > with a similar issue.
>
> I would recommend this strategy. Supposedly, you will rarely need to
> perform imports from PythonLabs Python: the CE changes should be
> largely independent of how PythonLabs Python develops.

Agreed. We'd snapshot from the core to the CE working CVS periodically.

We cannot keep up with the rate of core changes until we get our act together. In the
end, we shouldn't really have anything outside the core if we "do it right".

> You don't need a separate SF project, perhaps: A CVS module on the
> python project might be sufficient. We can ask SF to remove the tree
> when/if CE incorporation is complete.

Can someone who understands the mechanics of how this works explain it? I'm not
skilled enough in CVS to visualize the process of importing from the core, while still
being able to track commit/update's from the CE tree.

Also, none of the developers have core CVS access now, so I do not think a branch
would be appropriate.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
AOL-IM: BKClements