[Python-Dev] Need advice: cloning python cvs for CE project

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Sep 2002 00:02:40 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> Otherwise you could set up your own SF project "pythonce" and do a
> vendor branch checkin of Python.  I've never used vendor branches
> myself, but Kurt Kaiser uses them in the idlefork CVS, which deals
> with a similar issue.

I would recommend this strategy. Supposedly, you will rarely need to
perform imports from PythonLabs Python: the CE changes should be
largely independent of how PythonLabs Python develops.

Imports might be needed only when a chunk of your changes is accepted
into CVS Python.

You don't need a separate SF project, perhaps: A CVS module on the
python project might be sufficient. We can ask SF to remove the tree
when/if CE incorporation is complete.

Regards,
Martin