[Python-Dev] fwd: Dan Sugalski on continuations and closures

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:42:09 -0800

via Simon Willison's blog:

  http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2003/04/03/#closuresAndContinuations

"
Thanks to Dan Sugalski (designer of Parrot, the next generation Perl VM) I
finally understand what continuations and closures actually are. He explains
them as part of a comparison between the forthcoming Parrot and two popular
virtual machines already in existence:

 * (Perl|python|Ruby) on (.NET|JVM) leads in to the explanation.
   http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000151.html

 * The reason for Parrot, part 2 explains closures.
   http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000152.html

 * Continuations and VMs explains continuations.
   http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000156.html

 * Continuations and VMs, part 2 rounds things off by explaining why the JVM
and the CLR are unsuitable environments for supporting these language
features.
   http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000157.html
"

ka
ps. In order to focus on Python promotion and site-redesign efforts I've
suspended delivery of python-dev email in the short-term and will only be
scanning the archives as time permits. If you need to flame me, please
address your emails to me directly or /dev/null, your choice ;-)