[Python-Dev] Placement of os.fdopen functionality

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:46:40 +1200 (NZST)

> but note that file objects have a method fileno(), which
> returns a file descriptor.  Its implementation is not #ifdefed in any
> way -- the C stdio library requires fileno() to exist!

Hmmm, I wasn't sure whether fileno() was a required part of stdio, or
whether it only existed on unix-like systems. If it really is
required, I guess it doesn't have to be in the os module.