[Python-Dev] Re: Re: pirate (python+parrot)

logistix logistix at cathoderaymission.net
Tue Aug 5 03:58:32 EDT 2003

[guido at python.net]
> wrote:
> > Sure, but bytecode evolves slowly enough to be useful for Dan; given

> > that the only parse tree format we have is *intricately* linked with

> > the Python parser and (at least part of) its runtime,

> It is?  Both translators are using the compiler package, not
> the parser
> module; can it be said to be intricately linked with the runtime?
> Admittedly it uses the parser module underneath, but the AST
> representation
> itself is pretty generic, isn't it?

As Michal touched on earlier, I wrote a hand-coded pure-python parser
that plugs into the compiler package.  It takes about 1.5-2x as long to
compile vs using the native parser module.  The resultant tuples can
also be shoved back into genuine parse trees via parser.sequence2ast().
So yeah, it's not that big of a deal to generate AST trees without the
runtime (until some crazy function attribute syntax gets added to
python, that is)