[Python-Dev] pirate 0.01 alpha!

Michal Wallace michal at sabren.com
Tue Aug 19 11:17:48 EDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Greg Ewing wrote:

> Michal Wallace <michal at sabren.com>:
>
> >   As a special bonus, it currently runs dog slow! The
> >   microthreads example runs about 8-9 times slower on
> >   pirate than on regular python. But that's not parrot's
> >   fault: the generated code is completely unoptimized.
>
> It's fair, though -- the regular Python's bytecode is
> completely unoptimised, too. :-)

Yeah, but as I told someone else who made this point, it's really not
a fair fight. Running something as simple as "x=x+x" through pirate
currently allocates at least 4 new objects (possibly up to 8,
depending what x is) and does three separate searches through the
frame stack for the value of x. And that's just off the top of my
head... :)

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.