[Python-Dev] Pie-thon benchmarks

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 15:28:26 EST 2003

[Guido, to Dan Sugalski]
> You know, I *want* you to win, at least if you can win by a great big
> margin.  Because then we could switch to Parrot to make Python
> faster.  I just very much doubt that you'll be able to bat CPython.

Note that Fredrik boosted his pystone result from 2267 under CPython, to
58038 under his Pytte1 "small Python-like language" interpreter:

    http://effbot.org/zone/pyttestone.htm

The way to prevent this is to make the benchmark exercise lots of Python's
features.  I suggest at least one instance of each of the 7016 ways to call
a function <wink>.