[Python-Dev] Re: Pie-thon benchmarks

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Dec 16 02:00:10 EST 2003

> You know, I *want* you to win, at least if you
can win by a great big
> margin.  Because then we could switch to Parrot
to make Python
> faster.  I just very much doubt that you'll be
able to bat CPython.

For this to be thinkable, and for the test to be
fair, Parrot must be at least as semantically
'broad' as CPython (ie, handle every possible
meaning of every bytecode).  So I would include at
least the syntax and standard lib test files (-
exec and eval tests) as part of the benchmark.
This also gets to the 'provably correct' aspect of
the rules.

Terry J. Reedy