[Python-Dev] BUILDEXE erroneously empty on 2.2.2 for Mac OS X?

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:53:43 +0000

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

>     >> I just wiped my maint22 directory clean, did a cvs up, configure and
>     >> make on my Mac OS X machine.  BUILDEXE got set to the empty string,
>
>     Michael> I don't think the case-sensitive file-system chack has ever
>     Michael> made it to the 22-maint branch.
>
> I think the build worked fine for me back in October (at least I don't
> remember having to execute "make BUILDEXE=.exe".  It seems something changed
> in the intervening time.

Hmm.  Looking at CVS suggests that 2.2 sets BUILDEXE correctly if you
are building in-tree, but not out of tree.  Could that be the
difference?

(ran configure to test, found an empty BUILDEXE, then realized I'm
still on the linux box, doh).

Actually testing on OS X backs me up.

>     Michael> Feel free to backport it...
>
> Since you are the acknowledged backport master, and I have never done a
> retrospective backport before, can you give me some clues about how to find
> "it"?

Basically by reading the output of "cvs log configure.in".  Looks like
revisions 1.363 & 1.326 are the interesting ones.

So try "cvs up -j 1.325 -j 1.326 configure.in" and count the rejects.

Cheers,
M.

--
  The "of course, while I have no problem with this at all, it's
  surely too much for a lesser being" flavor of argument always