[Python-Dev] Re: new bytecode results

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:57:10 -0500

Terry Reedy wrote:
> In any case, this seems to makes the contest one more of special-case
> optimization and less of general-case running time, and therefore of
> less relevance to users who want *their* programs to run faster with
> an out-of-the-box interpreter.

Indeed.  I suspect, though, that if the test program exercises a sizable
chunk of Python's functionality, we won't see a Parrot-based
implementation that can run it.  2004 is a long time away, time enough
for the PyPy effort to bear fruit.

Guido, when it comes time to write the benchmark program, please get in
touch with me; I'd like to help produce a realistic test program.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
Orchestra: Anagram of carthorse.
       -- Peter Greenaway, _Rosa: The Death of a Composer_