[Python-Dev] Re: new bytecode results

Dan Wolfe dkwolfe@pacbell.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:52:27 -0800

Why wait?

In the last year of lurking on this list, I've seen requests for a good
python benchmark no less than 4 times - the most recent being damien
morton's attempt to prove/disprove his optimizations.

Having an "approved" good benchmark/realistic test program would make
it easy to validate optimizations, and head off the consistent 'pystone
is not a realistic benchmark' arguments that come up each time....

Besides, it will take a 6 months just to agree to a basic framework,
and another 6 months to work around all the "competitive optimization
tricks" timbot has up his sleeve...

just-looking-at-it-realistically,

- Dan