[Python-Dev] new features for 2.3?

David Goodger goodger@python.org
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:30:37 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> First of all, reST is going to be used a lot in Zope3.
>>
>> Cool!  Is there a website or a mailing list thread containing the
>> master plan?
>
> For what?

For reStructuredText integration into Zope.  I got the impression that
it was an official thing.

> For reST usage, AFAIK there isn't much except an email I saw today:
>
>   http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-January/004737.html

Thanks.

>>> Maybe it could become a standard library module?
>>
>> That would be great.  But could it be a bit premature?
> [...]
>> Maybe I'm just being too protective of "my baby".  Perhaps it's time
>> for it to face the realities of the big bad world.
>
> Maybe.  Maybe I haven't been following reST closely enough.  I do
> admit that I was a bit worried when I saw how rough the tools are
> (e.g. tools/html.py, which is the only thing I've used)

In what way are the tools rough?  Other than:

> and also when I found that at first they didn't work with
> Python 2.3 at all.

Minor issues, all fixed now.

> OTOH, maybe this will be an encouragement for you and the other reST
> developers (are there any besides you? :-)

But of course!  There are many, contributing a little bit here & there.
A few have contributed significant amounts.  But it's mostly me, true.

> to aim for a release beyond the CVS snapshot.  Once you've released
> it may make more sense to add it to Python 2.3.

I don't think that Docutils itself is ready.  Autodocumenting Python source,
what I consider to be its main use case, isn't addressed yet.  I've been
aiming at another release when that's ready.

I think the reStructuredText parser (with the one exception of interpreted
text) is mature and ready though.  I'd be happy to help integrate that.

--
David Goodger  <goodger@python.org>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/