[Python-Dev] new features for 2.3?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:12:54 -0500

> >> That would be great.  But could it be a bit premature?
> > [...]
> >> Maybe I'm just being too protective of "my baby".  Perhaps it's time
> >> for it to face the realities of the big bad world.
> >
> > Maybe.  Maybe I haven't been following reST closely enough.  I do
> > admit that I was a bit worried when I saw how rough the tools are
> > (e.g. tools/html.py, which is the only thing I've used)
>
> In what way are the tools rough?

Well, they aren't even installed.

> Other than:
>
> > and also when I found that at first they didn't work with
> > Python 2.3 at all.
>
> Minor issues, all fixed now.

Yeah, everything's a minor issue of programming. :-)

> > OTOH, maybe this will be an encouragement for you and the other reST
> > developers (are there any besides you? :-)
>
> But of course!  There are many, contributing a little bit here & there.
> A few have contributed significant amounts.  But it's mostly me, true.

For a project of this size, that's often a good idea, as long as the
main developer listens to the users (which you do).  So congratulations!

> > to aim for a release beyond the CVS snapshot.  Once you've released
> > it may make more sense to add it to Python 2.3.
>
> I don't think that Docutils itself is ready.  Autodocumenting Python source,
> what I consider to be its main use case, isn't addressed yet.  I've been
> aiming at another release when that's ready.
>
> I think the reStructuredText parser (with the one exception of interpreted
> text) is mature and ready though.  I'd be happy to help integrate that.

Hm, I'd rather do a package deal than piecemeal.  Let's forget this
until you feel you're truly ready.