[Python-Dev] Misc. warnings

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:48:02 +0100

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>=20
>> test_bsddb3 skipped -- Use of the `bsddb' resource not enabled
>> test_ossaudiodev skipped -- No module named ossaudiodev
>> 2 skips unexpected on linux2:
>>     test_ossaudiodev test_bsddb3
>>
>> Why would ossaudiodev be expected to work on Linux ?
>> Dito for BSD DB 3 ?
>=20
>=20
> Passive voice is misleading here: Who would or would not expect thinks=20
> to work on Linux?
>=20
> The message "2 skips unexpected" does not mean that anybody is not=20
> expecting something. It merely means that those tests are skipped and=20
> not listed in the dictionary "_expectations".

So why not list them in _expectations ?

> I would personally expect that the bsddb3 test passes if Sleepycat BSD=20
> DB is installed on the system (which should be the case on most Linux=20
> systems), and the bsddb resource is activated when running regrtest.
 >
> I would further expect that ossaudiodev passes on every Linux system=20
> that has a soundcard installed.

True, but what those systems which don't come with a Linux
supported soundcard or a supported BSD DB installation ?

I'd place the two modules into the _expectations dict and
enhance the error messages to:

test_bsddb3 skipped -- No usable Sleepycat BSD DB 3 installation found
test_ossaudiodev skipped -- No OSS-compatible soundcard support found

BTW, after inspection I found that SuSE Linux ships with
BSD DB 4.0.x. The module name would suggest that this version
is not supported. Is that so ?

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH