[Python-Dev] Misc. warnings

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
08 Jan 2003 11:05:33 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> > The message "2 skips unexpected" does not mean that anybody is not
> > expecting something. It merely means that those tests are skipped
> > and not listed in the dictionary "_expectations".
>
> So why not list them in _expectations ?

I don't know. I cannot understand the purpose of _expectations.

If the purpose is that Python never prints "skips unexpected", it
would be better to remove that print statement.

> True, but what those systems which don't come with a Linux
> supported soundcard or a supported BSD DB installation ?

They will skip that test. Again, I don't understand the purpose of the
skip message, but I know of atleast one case where a user reviewed the
skip messages to install a number of missing libraries. That user
would not learn about missing libraries if the tests are added to
_expectations.

> I'd place the two modules into the _expectations dict and
> enhance the error messages to:
>
> test_bsddb3 skipped -- No usable Sleepycat BSD DB 3 installation found

This is not the likely cause. I'm pretty sure you have such an
installation on your system. The likely cause that the test was
skipped is that the bsddb3 resource was not given to regrtest.

> test_ossaudiodev skipped -- No OSS-compatible soundcard support found

Again, not the likely cause. The likely cause is that ossaudiodev is
not built - you have discovered a genuine bug. ossaudiodev is never
built, on any system.

> BTW, after inspection I found that SuSE Linux ships with
> BSD DB 4.0.x. The module name would suggest that this version
> is not supported. Is that so ?

No. The _bsddb.c works find with BSD DB 4.0, and I'm pretty sure that
your Python build has found and used this library. Otherwise,
test_bsddb would also be skipped.

Regards,
Martin