[Python-Dev] Re: logging package -- rename warn to warning?

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:23:39 +0100

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Vinay Sajip writes:
>  > +1 on the name change, but it will break a fair amount of code out there
>  > (from the emails I've been receiving). Could we leave warn and WARN in as
>  > synonyms for now, but only mention warning and WARNING in the documentation?
>
> I think this would be very reasonable; we don't want to break things
> for people that have been using this package already.

But isn't this a case where the number of people who *will* use
it in the future exceeds the current number of users by a factor
of 10 or 100?  Is it really worth the possible confusion?

Introducing a new module with already "deprecated" method names
seems strange to me.

    holger