[Python-Dev] Re: logging package -- rename warn to warning?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:37:34 -0500

holger krekel writes:
 > But isn't this a case where the number of people who *will* use
 > it in the future exceeds the current number of users by a factor
 > of 10 or 100?

Hopefully!

 >                Is it really worth the possible confusion?

The suggestion wasn't that we document the old names as deprecated,
but to simply not document them.  Only people with existing code using
the package will be using them.  We certainly could add a
DeprecationWarning for the warn() method.

 > Introducing a new module with already "deprecated" method names
 > seems strange to me.

The catch, of course, is that we're not introducing it, we're simply
adding it to the standard library.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>