[Python-Dev] donating python-crack module

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:45:53 -0400

> hi all,
>
> i made the python-crack module, which offers bindings to cracklib2, the
> famous password cracking library (http://www.crypticide.org/users/alecm/).
>
> it works nicely and is fully documented. it is rather little and does
> not require frequent updates. it works on Python 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.
> it is available at http://www.nongnu.org/python-crack/.
>
> i'd like to donate it to the Python project, but after a quick search
> on the python site i didn't find any useful information.
>
> please, could you point me in the right direction?
>
> best regards
> domenico andreoli
>
> -----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
>  --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc

Cracklib seems a useful tool, but IMO it's too specific for inclusion
in the standard library.

If you're thinking about a copyright assignment to the PSF, I'm not
sure what that would buy you (or the PSF).  You can just make it
available from SourceForge and put an open source license on it.  Not
the Python license, please -- pick the BSD or MIT license or something
else that's sweet, simple and GPL-compatible without being viral
(i.e. *don't* use the GPL).  Then everyone can enjoy your code.