[Python-Dev] Python 2.3 release schedule update

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
09 Jul 2003 10:58:39 -0400

Here is the updated plan for the Python 2.3 release.  Remember that we
have to release by August 1st in order to meet Apple's plans for
Panther.  I think we're very close, so this doesn't seem like an
unreasonable milestone to meet.

The plan is to release 2.3rc1 on July 17, 2003.  I'll be out of town, so
Jeremy will do this release, with the usual help from Fred and Tim.

If we find that an rc2 is necessary, I will make that release on July
24, 2003, with a final release on July 31, 2003.

If rc2 is not necessary, I would like to release Python 2.3 final a week
early, i.e. July 24, 2003.  Our schedule is already tight for Apple, so
it would be nice to have a little extra breathing room if possible.

I've updated PEP 283 to reflect this schedule.  Please help by testing
the current cvs and/or beta2 as much as possible.  If you have critical
fixes for 2.3 final, please get them in now -- don't wait until the last
minute.  Please be very conservative in what you check in between now
and rc1.

ssshhh!-don't-tell-guido-ly y'rs,
-Barry