[Python-Dev] Python 2.3 release schedule update

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:26:07 -0700

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Here is the updated plan for the Python 2.3 release.  Remember that we
> have to release by August 1st in order to meet Apple's plans for
> Panther.  I think we're very close, so this doesn't seem like an
> unreasonable milestone to meet.
>
> The plan is to release 2.3rc1 on July 17, 2003.  I'll be out of town, so
> Jeremy will do this release, with the usual help from Fred and Tim.
>
> If we find that an rc2 is necessary, I will make that release on July
> 24, 2003, with a final release on July 31, 2003.

So, I am going to be out of town for my younger brother's wedding
starting Sunday and won't be back until July 21.  During that time I
will have no Net.

I will obviously do what I can between now and Sunday to help.  But in
case I can't get everything done, there are only three things assigned
to me that if I can't solve in time I would appreciate someone closing
for me.

One is http://www.python.org/sf/762934 which is a patch for the
detection of time.tzset .  It makes it more stringent by adding a check
in the code just like the one in the regression test that keeps failing
on various platforms.  I have a comment on what needs to be changed, but
  they are all syntactic.  The reason I have not applied it already is
that it makes the detection pickier and thus will change what platforms
get tzset compared to b2 and thus I am not sure how to proceed.  I was
also waiting for someone to apply the patch to see if it solves their
bug they haven't yet so I am not holding my breath for a response.

Another is http://www.python.org/sf/763708 which is a failing test for
macostools.  Jack has said that I am basically the only person he has
found who has the failure consistently.  I am going to do my darndest to
solve this before I leave but I have *zero* experience with any of the
MacPython code so if anyone else out there is getting a failure please
speak up.

And the last one is http://www.python.org/sf/762963 which is a patch for
Modules/timemodule.c that normalizes the timezone since there seems to
be a loss in info because of the way the code drops the GMT offset.  The
patch is very trivial but there is a suggestion about autoconf that I
have no experience with and was going to research.

My priority is the macostools bug, then the tzset one, and then the
timemodule.c .  Hopefully I will get to all of them but as Sunday
approaches I am becoming less and less sure.

-Brett