[Python-Dev] 2.3rc2 IDLE problems on a Win2000sp3 box

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:56:47 -0400

Noting that someone on the Tutor list running a "personal firewall" kind of
program was disturbed because it reported that 2.3c1 IDLE was trying to
access the Internet at startup.  They were concerned about why IDLE would be
reporting *anything* about them to another machine.

I confess I had the same question when I first tried the new IDLE on
Win98SE, and ZoneAlarm raised an eyebrow.  Of course I looked at the source
and saw then it was only talking to localhost, but for some reason it didn't
occur to me that anyone else might wonder about this too.

It's obvious that gazillions of Windows users will wonder about it.  If
anyone has an idea about where to put a reassuring explanation that a
panicky Windows user is likely to read, don't be shy.