[Python-Dev] 2.3rc2 IDLE problems on a Win2000sp3 box

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:04:48 -0400

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003, Tim Peters wrote:

> Noting that someone on the Tutor list running a "personal firewall" kind of
> program was disturbed because it reported that 2.3c1 IDLE was trying to
> access the Internet at startup.  They were concerned about why IDLE would be
> reporting *anything* about them to another machine.
>
> I confess I had the same question when I first tried the new IDLE on
> Win98SE, and ZoneAlarm raised an eyebrow.  Of course I looked at the source
> and saw then it was only talking to localhost, but for some reason it didn't
> occur to me that anyone else might wonder about this too.
>
> It's obvious that gazillions of Windows users will wonder about it.  If
> anyone has an idea about where to put a reassuring explanation that a
> panicky Windows user is likely to read, don't be shy.

This is more code change than I'd like this late, but perhaps we should
pop up a dialog the first time IDLE starts that stores a key in the
registry when the user clicks OK.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz