[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-05-16 through 2003-05-31

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:02:57 -0700

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> .. _Python 2.2.3: http://www.python.org./2.2.3/
>
>     Robin> You've got a typo in that URL: an extra trailing dot after the
>     Robin> ".org".
>
> Typo perhaps, but it is still a valid name (a trailing dot makes the name
> absolute, much the same way that a leading / makes a Unix path name
> absolute).  If your web browser or email client doesn't grok that (Apple's
> Safari handled it just fine), I'd report it as a bug. ;-)

No typo, but Skip hit it right on the head in his explanation; the dot
makes the address absolute and thus skips your search domains trying to
find a match.  Think of the trailing dot as specifying to go to the
Net's root servers immediately instead of trying to figure out what you
mean.  The drawback of having me do the summaries; just finished reading
'UNIX Network Programming' so I am still in the "let's try to justify
reading over 760 pages in a little over a week" mode.  =)

And yes, if your browser can't handle that address it's broken.  =)

-Brett