[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-05-16 through 2003-05-31

Robin Munn rmunn@pobox.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:47:26 -0500

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:02:57PM -0700, Brett C. wrote:
> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> >    >> .. _Python 2.2.3: http://www.python.org./2.2.3/
> >
> >    Robin> You've got a typo in that URL: an extra trailing dot after the
> >    Robin> ".org".
> >
> >Typo perhaps, but it is still a valid name (a trailing dot makes the name
> >absolute, much the same way that a leading / makes a Unix path name
> >absolute).  If your web browser or email client doesn't grok that (Apple=
's
> >Safari handled it just fine), I'd report it as a bug. ;-)
> >
>=20
> No typo, but Skip hit it right on the head in his explanation; the dot=20
> makes the address absolute and thus skips your search domains trying to=
=20
> find a match.  Think of the trailing dot as specifying to go to the=20
> Net's root servers immediately instead of trying to figure out what you=
=20
> mean.  The drawback of having me do the summaries; just finished reading=
=20
> 'UNIX Network Programming' so I am still in the "let's try to justify=20
> reading over 760 pages in a little over a week" mode.  =3D)
>=20
> And yes, if your browser can't handle that address it's broken.  =3D)

Ah, I see. My browser handled it just fine, but I assumed it was a typo
because I didn't know that was valid usage and, well, the . key is right
next to the / key... :-)

I'd still consider changing it to the more-commonly-used form without a
trailing dot, though, simply to avoid confusing people on c.l.py. Or you
could leave it in, figuring that anyone who reads the python-dev
summaries is smart enough to understand what's going on. Your call.

--=20
Robin Munn <rmunn@pobox.com>
http://www.rmunn.com/
PGP key ID: 0x6AFB6838    50FF 2478 CFFB 081A 8338  54F7 845D ACFD 6AFB 6838

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH--