[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:22:29 +0200

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>=20
>>>I am not aware of such a plan, and it is
>>>not part of the approved PEP 263. I would strongly object to such a
>>>change.
>>
>>Why is that ? The proposed APIs will work just like their
>>counterparts for the internal Unicode/string conversion which
>>have proven to quiet down discussions about choosing ASCII
>>as default encoding.
>=20
> But do they have done good? I don't consider quieting down of
> discussions a good thing per se.

Providing more options often helps in finding compromises.
Not that I like any of these APIs or that I have ever
used them, but if they make people happy, I don't mind
exposing them.

>>"Practicality beats purity."
>=20
> That is, unfortunately, convincing. I'll certainly bow to BDFL
> pronouncement, but I don't have to like this feature.

No question about that :-)

> So I withdraw my observation that this would be out of scope for the
> next beta. I'll hope that nobody volunteers to implement it, anyway
> :-) Any potential implementer, please find a way to integrate this
> with IDLE: In absence of a declared source encoding, IDLE should then
> probably assume that source files are in the system source encoding.

I think that we can safely leave providing patches for this
to the people who will make use of the feature :-)

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 22 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                         2 days left