[Python-Dev] Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Jeff Epler jepler@unpythonic.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:15:11 -0500

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:10:05PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Barry> I've updated the bugs page to remove the kaput bugs and add a
>     Barry> note about extraction problems on Solaris 8.
>
> Thanks.  I found this item on the Haskell website:
>
>     http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/hugs-bugs/2002-November/001045.html
>
> Looks like Solaris (<= 8) tar has a pathname limit of 80 characters.  Should
> we try and squeeze the Python directory tree into that limit or simply tell
> people to use GNU tar if their tar barfs?
>
> Skip

... provide a "macless" tarball for problem systems, and enforce an 80
char limit on it?

is this a traditional tar or Solaris tar limitation?  It's not clear,
having RTFA'd.  It sounds like the 80-char limit is Solaris, and the
100-char limit is traditional?

Jeff