[Python-Dev] Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:22:11 -0500

    Jeff> ... provide a "macless" tarball for problem systems, and enforce
    Jeff> an 80 char limit on it?

I think that would be troublesome.  Some people would pick up the wrong
tarball, and it would require extra work on the part of whoever creates a
distribution tarball.

    Jeff> is this a traditional tar or Solaris tar limitation?  It's not
    Jeff> clear, having RTFA'd.  It sounds like the 80-char limit is
    Jeff> Solaris, and the 100-char limit is traditional?

I'm game for just recommending people get GNU tar, but it's available on all
the platforms I care about.  Other people may not be so fortunate.

Skip