[Python-Dev] Re: [Pydotorg] updated notes about building bsddb185 module

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 09:28:52 -0500

    >> - where bsddb is imported, try importing bsddb, and if that
    >> fails try importing bsddb185 as bsddb (or as * inside the bsddb pkg).

    Martin> I'm strongly opposed to that. Users of bsddb185 need to make an
    Martin> explicit choice that they want to use that library. Otherwise,
    Martin> we would have to deal with the bug reports resulting from the
    Martin> brokenness of the library forever.

Yeah, but there are places in the core library (like anydbm via dbhash)
which import bsddb and are generally going to be out of control of end
users.  I think those places need to consider bsddb185 as a possibility.  I
already posted a link to a SF patch.

Skip