[Python-Dev] Random SF tracker ettiquete questions

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Mon, 12 May 2003 11:35:25 +0100

"Brett C." <bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> First, do we care about closing RFEs?  I realized that Skip does not
> keep count of them in his weekly summary so I am not sure how much we
> care about them.  Should I waste my time wading through them to close
> them?

I remember Martin pointing out that we should prioritize patches over
bug reports, as for a patch someone has actually put some work in.  By
this light RFEs are at the bottom of the pile.

> Second, when is it okay to reassign a tracker item to yourself or
> close an item that is assigned to another person?  I ask this because
> Fred has some patches assigned to him that I think I can close myself,
> but I don't want to step on his toes since they are assigned to him.

All doc bugs get assigned to Fred by default, IIRC.  These means he
probably doesn't feel too attached to them...

> Third, when does someone warrant being mentioned in the ACKS.txt file?
> Only when they have done some significant body of work?  Or does
> committing even a one-line patch warrant inclusion?

I err on the side of adding people.  It's a judgement call.  IMHO
pointing out a typo in the docs isn't sufficient, but just about
anything that involves thinking is.

> P.S.: Python got to #6 on SF's most active projects.  Maybe I am
> overdoing the comments on patches.  =)

Nonsense!

Cheers,
M.

--
  Good? Bad? Strap him into the IETF-approved witch-dunking
  apparatus immediately!                        -- NTK now, 21/07/2000