[Python-Dev] check-in policy, trunk vs maintenance branch

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Nov 7 09:37:41 EST 2003

On 3 Nov 2003, at 15:01, Aahz wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003, Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>> I made a few bugfix check-ins to the 2.3 maintenance branch this
>> weekend and Michael Hudson commented that he thinks that so doing is a
>> bad idea, that bug fixes should filter from the 2.4 trunk to the 2.3
>> branch and not the other way around.  Is this indeed the policy (have
>> I missed some guidelines about it)?
>
> PEP 6:
>
>     As individual patches get contributed to the feature release fork,
>     each patch contributor is requested to consider whether the patch
> is
>     a bug fix suitable for inclusion in a patch release.  If the patch
> is
>     considered suitable, the patch contributor will mail the
> SourceForge
>     patch (bug fix?) number to the maintainers' mailing list.

Is it okay to apply fixes to the branch only when I know the relevant
portions of the trunk will disappear before 2.4?

I've done some fixes to the MacPython IDE that I did only on the
release23-maint branch, because the plan is that the IDE will be
replaced by something completely different soon...
--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman