[Python-Dev] Python-2.3.2 windows binary screwed

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 21:36:07 EDT 2003

[Thomas Heller]
> Sigh.
>
> The 2.3.2 windows binary contains invalid MS dlls.

Oops.  Guido can tell you how anal I was about this, but I don't think it
ever got documented.  Sorry!  It's why the Wise script has C:\Code\MSDLLs as
a choice for where to get redistributables from.

> I copied them from my system directory, instead of using those of the
> MSVC 6 SP5 redistributables.

That's a good choice.  I can't find it now, but somewhere in the MS
gigabytes of stuff is a list of which versions of these guys are
redistributable.  Sometimes a service pack will install one that isn't
*generally* usable, because it relies on other stuff installed by the same
service pack.  These oddballs often show up in security patches, where
they're seemingly ramming out a fix as fast as possible.

> Strongy affected are probably win98 and NT4 users.

The happier news is that I've got 2.3.2 on two Win98SE boxes with no ill
effects.  I keep these scrupulously up-to-date, though.