[Python-Dev] accumulator display syntax

Neil Schemenauer nas-python at python.ca
Tue Oct 21 19:39:10 EDT 2003

Guido:
> Personally, I still like the idea best to make
>
>     (x for x in S)
>
> be an iterator comprehension
>
> and
>
>     [x for x in S]
>
> syntactic sugar for the common operation
>
>     list((x for x in S))

FWIW, that's enough to switch my vote for generator expressions from
-0 to +0.  If they work this way then there is essentially no extra
complexity in the language.  It's important to look at things from
the perspective of a new Python programmer, I think.

Another nice thing is that we have tuple and dict comprehensions
for free:

  tuple(x for x in S)
  dict((k, v) for k, v in S)
  Set(x for x in S)

Aside from the bit of syntactic sugar, everything is nice an
regular.

  Neil