[Python-Dev] Re: Be Honest about LC_NUMERIC [REPOST]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Sep 1 18:12:20 EDT 2003

> It's more than that. We want you to fully understand the patch, and to
> spot errors in it even before the glib developers find them.

It's unlikely that the glib code would contain errors that Gustavo
could spot, before or after cleaning up the patch (no offense to
Gustavo meant!).  However, a more likely cause of errors would be that
the adoption of the code to a new environment breaks an unspoken
assumption made by the code.  Only truly understanding the code would
reveal such assumptions.

> We want
> you to provide a minimalistic patch, that just implements the required
> functionality, and nothing else. We want the patch to be maintainable
> due to it being easy to read and follow, instead of being maintainable
> due to the fact that it is identical with some code elsewhere in the
> world.

Right.  Just say no to "copy-and-paste code reuse".