[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Jason R. Mastaler jason at mastaler.com
Fri Sep 26 17:06:28 EDT 2003

Charles Cazabon <python at discworld.dyndns.org> writes:

> Too late: 2.3.1 is in at least some versions of Debian already

The Debian situation is a bit better because they can incorporate
patches and issue a point release of the package itself.  I contacted
the Debian/Python maintainer, and he plans to incorporate the
os.fsync() fix as soon as the sourceforge CVS delay catches up to him.
More troublesome are distros like Redhat whose packages are not
dynamically updateable.  They are sealed in stone once they become
part of a release.

> Could 2.3.1 be revoked or replaced ASAP? "2.3.1b" or similar with
> only this change would suit me.

I'd be in favour of revoking 2.3.1 as well because of the severity of
this bug.  I don't think we'll be completely rid of it otherwise.