[Python-Dev] PC/python_nt.rc

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Sat Sep 27 17:15:11 EDT 2003

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Does this sound like a sensible approach, or are there any objections?
>
> Would it be possible to use VBScript instead? That should be available
> at any phase of the build process.

I'm much more comfortable to write the following C program than to parse
patchlevel.h in VB.  What would the advantage of VB be?

#include <stdio.h>
#include "patchlevel.h"

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    printf("#define FIELD3 %d\n",
        PY_MICRO_VERSION*1000 + PY_RELEASE_LEVEL*10
        + PY_RELEASE_SERIAL);
    /* some more fields needed */
    return 0;
}

> While we are at it: At what point will we switch to VC7.1 for the
> Windows builds?

Hm, for 2.4, maybe.

Or should there 7.1 compiled .msi installers in parallel for the 2.3 line?

Thomas