[Python-Dev] PEP 329: Treating Builtins as Constants in the Standard Library

Gareth McCaughan gmccaughan at synaptics-uk.com
Mon Apr 19 09:56:14 EDT 2004

On Monday 2004-04-19 14:49, Samuele Pedroni wrote:

> Raymond, could you  please try to tame your speed obsession without
> devising even more hacks and pissing in other people's pool.

What a gratuitously obnoxious and pointless reply. If you have
reason to think Raymond's proposal, if implemented, will cause
trouble, then show it. If not, then why shouldn't he work on
making Python faster if he wants to?

The only drawback I can see to Raymond's proposal is that if
you change the values of builtins and expect that to influence
the behaviour of the standard library, then that may not work
any more. I'd be more inclined to call *that* "pissing in other
people's pools" than Raymond's proposal.