[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 4 02:25:19 CEST 2004

"Jp Calderone" <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote in message
news:410FC9FE.6060305 at divmod.com...
>    I like Python(*) because it is simple and generally unsurprising.

Me too.

>  I  think that '@deco' adds complexity, both for beginners and
experienced
> programmers alike,

Decorators will add complexity, regardless of syntax.  An advantage of the
@ syntax is than it makes the complexiity separable and ignorable for
someone learning/teaching basic Python, which includes list literals and
function defs.  To me, the [deco list] syntax is particularly bad in adding
an advanced, esoteric, context-dependent, magic meaning to an hour 1 basic
concept.

> so I do not see it as an improvement.

Apparently, the question of whether decos are an improvement has at least
temporarily been decided in the affirmative.

Terry J. Reedy