[Python-Dev] @decorators, the PEP and the "options" out there?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 6 19:20:59 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 02:03, IxokaI wrote:

>   Doesn't the fact that the @stuff is at the same level and has no
> connection to the def besides 'above' bother you in our universe of
> indentation-love?

It did for me...originally.  In fact, early in the discussions I favored
list-before-colon syntax.  Now that I've had a chance to play with pie
syntax and rewrite my code (many several of times) for all the various
syntax options, I am definitely favoring decorator-before-def (e.g. pie
decorators).  My primary concerns with that were in using list notation
which is legal code today (that's bad because decorators would subtly
not do what's intended in older Pythons), and the visual attachment of
decorators to the function they modify.  The latter turns out not to be
much of a problem in practice, IMO.

-Barry