[Python-Dev] @decorators, the PEP and the "options" out there?

IxokaI ixokai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 08:03:22 CEST 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 01:31:57 -0400, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> > PS2: I like the list-after-def syntax.
>
> There's quite a peculiar split over that.  I find the @ gimmick most
> readable of all, and especially because it forces one decoration per
> physical line.  list-after-def looks like a train wreck piling up
> after the arglist half the time.  But @ looks like a friendly little
> womb, with a happy little birth canal, out of which is born a single
> pure expression.  What's more beautiful than the miracle of birth?
> Certainly not a train wreck.

  Doesn't the fact that the @stuff is at the same level and has no
connection to the def besides 'above' bother you in our universe of
indentation-love?
  And the fact that the pie *is* "at", and why that it just doesn't
"read"? '"define methy1 at staticmethod" is wrong, but "at
staticmethod define methy2" is right.
  I like Python to be able to be read very easily. If we have to have
it at the same level as def and above, we soo need a keyword..pweeze?

class MyLittleToy:
   def methy1(self):
       print 'whee'
   @staticmethod
   def methy2():
        print 'woo'
   @staticmethod
   def methy3(arg):
        for i in arg:
           print 'woohoo'

? That bothers me a looot... and is the primary reason I hate the pie.
That and I really don't want anymore punctuation.

--Stephen