[Python-Dev] Re: pre-PEP: Complete, Structured Regular Expression Group Matching

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Sat Aug 7 01:46:27 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
> Generally, it strikes me as mildly useful.  An implementation would
> surely help :-)

If yours is the most positive review, there probably won't be one.  :-)

Seriously, though, I'd readily concede that there are different approaches to
solving this problem, and I was hoping for some feedback and suggestions
before I start whacking at the code.  I also have considered the possibility
that although this has been driving me nuts that few others will care--if this
is true, it probably *shouldn't* go in the core libraries.

> Presumably 'structmatch' would also become a metho on pattern objects?

Yes.  Good point.

>> [mismatch index return]
> I don't really like this idea; it seems to be that it would be more
> helpful to raise an exception and attach this data to the exception.
> But that's a bit inconsisent with how match and search work.

Hmm.  Yeah, if it weren't for the value of matching re.match semantics, it
would make a lot more sense for this to be an exception.  As it is, I could
see it going either way.  Or I suppose you could add a flag to determine which
(but ugh).

Thanks for your feedback!
Mike