[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Decimal type question [Prothon]

Jim J Jewett jimjjewett at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 15:39:52 CEST 2004

Mark Hahn:

> What do you think of the newer idea of using
> the IBM floating decimal for all numerics?
> Tim Peters and others pushed this on me.

In theory, it is a great idea, and removes
a lot of useless clutter.

C often has signed and unsigned versions of
char, short, int, long, and long long.

Python has just int and long.  The "missing"
types aren't really missed.

For Python itself, the unification probably
shouldn't happen until 3.0, because of all
the programs that use an "integer" as a bitfield,
and because performance won't really be equal.

For a new language -- yes, you might as well
get it right from the start.

-jJ