[Python-Dev] Weekly Python Bug/Patch Summary

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Aug 23 19:38:35 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:22:03AM -0700, Michael Chermside wrote:
> I don't want to exercise a veto here or anything, but I don't think
> it would be helpful. The barrier to more participation isn't that people
> don't know there's work to be done. I suspect that anyone who was going

I disagree.  I think there's a pool of volunteer labour in the Python
community that we aren't tapping yet.  For example, at the first bug
day the person who looked at the most bugs was someone who'd never
done anything with the Python core before (and, AFAICT, hasn't done
anything since).  In a discussion on that first day, he said
"... maybe ppl think that the tracker is only for core developers
etc. I never would have even looked there if it wasn't for today".
(That was in a discussion about automatically closing bugs once they
reach a certain age; see the transcript at
http://www.amk.ca/python/bugday/2004-06-05.html for the context.)

Posting the bug summary may result in people getting an idea of the
rate at which bugs and patches are processed.  Readers may also see a
new bug that's relevant to them, and offer debugging assistance or
commentary.  I can't see how posting the summaries to c.l.py would
*hurt*.  I say "do it".

--amk