[Python-Dev] Any reason why CPPFLAGS not used in compiling?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 5 09:40:49 CET 2004

Brett C. wrote:
> I noticed that Makefile.pre.in uses the value from the environment
> variable LDFLAGS but not CPPFLAGS.  Any reason for this?

How did you notice that? For LDFLAGS, Makefile.pre.in has

LDFLAGS=        @LDFLAGS@

This does *not* mean that the value from the environment is used.
Instead, it means that configure computes the value of LDFLAGS
when it generates Makefile.in. For CPPFLAGS, configure has nothing
to compute, so Makefile.pre.in just has the static value for
CPPFLAGS.

Regards,
Martin