[Python-Dev] MinGW And The other Py2.4 issue

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Dec 12 23:21:21 CET 2004

At 11:07 PM 12/12/04 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>it is not that
>clear whether extensions build with mingw will work in the standard
>2.4 distribution, or whether you can use the standard 2.4 distribution
>to build extensions with mingw.

I thought that it was clarified some time ago, with my success reports for
the pre-alpha version.  Paul Moore has also independently confirmed this,
and posted reasons why he doesn't believe that the dangling references to
msvcrt should cause a problem in practice.

The item that was unclear was whether newer versions of MinGW could get
away *without* building a libpython24.a file, and Paul indicated that this
was not possible.

So, using the script that I posted previously to build libpython24.a from
python24.dll is still a valid path for using MinGW to build extensions for
Python on Windows.